Share This Article
Hello, applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified students from Nigeria universities across the country for the emerging leaders program award- a program organized by the global sharpers- Abuja Hub in conjunction with Selfless for Africa Inc.
- The main aim of the program is to provide grants to aspiring Nigerian students to embark on projects that will solve a striking problem in the community. In addition, they are involved in the provision of the necessary connections and support needed by students to create meaningful impacts to their community in particular and the world in general.
- Secondly, the program is meant to provide an avenue for youths to cultivate the habit of volunteerism, patriotism and community service
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- The institutions that are participating in the contest must be based in Nigeria
- The students that are participating must be registered students of the institution and must form a team that comprise of 3-5 students.
- The participating team must have a slogan or team name
- The team must have high interest of research and community service at heart
PROCEDURE FOR PARTICIPATION
- Identify a problem in any community in Nigeria.
- Fill a community service application form HERE
- Download and fill your team information and endorsement form HERE
- Then, scan the printed documents and send it to email@example.com (Remember to attach scanned copies of your student’s Identification (ID) cards).
A panel of judges that will be constituted will screen the applications and bring out three outstanding proposals which will now enter for the final stage. The 3 shortlisted finalists will then present their proposals using pictures and videos with reasons why their team should be supported by the Global shapers community-Abuja Hub.
Award to winning Institution:
- A whooping sum of $3,250 ($2500 for implementation of the projects and $750 for the winning participants).
- Appearance of the team works in the sponsors communication websites and banners.
- plaques and souvenirs from sponsors.
CLOSING DATE: 5th December, 2016.
Brief description of the program:
The community service award is an initiative that began in November 2015 with many young aspiring Nigerian students participating in the program. The keenly contested competition was won by a team called “Project drink and live” that presented a proposal on construction of a borehole for the people of Wukara community- a remote village in Abuja with residents numbering about 1000. The completion of this project served as an immediate relief to this community which prior to then, relied on only one source of contaminated stream water. Hence, this community was relieved from water-related ailments.
Also mid this year, a team of students from the university of Ibadan won a grant of $3,250 in the second batch of the program to renovate a farm settlement in oke-ola community, Ogbomosgho Local Government Area, Oyo state.
Therefore, Great Nigerian students let’s harness this opportunity. Locate a problem in your community, form a team and present your proposals with solutions to the problems. Who knows? your team may win the third batch of this program!